The Sacrament of Holy Eucharist (Holy Communion) is usually received in second grade after completion of two years of religious education. Children in third grade or higher who have not received Holy Communion may be required to attend special sessions outside of regular session times. Preparation for First Holy Communion includes:
- Regular RE sessions weekly
- A sacramental retreat for parents
- A bread service for parents & children
- A sacramental retreat for children
2019-2020 First Holy Communion & Required “Parent Sacrament Retreat” Information
Our Parish Staff is excited to offer a program for parents of children who will be receiving their first Eucharist or Confirmation this year. A three-hour retreat will delve into the traditions of Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation and more fully explain the role you will play in preparing your child for these sacraments. The retreat will begin with prayer and an introduction, followed by lunch and the presentation. This program will challenge you to understand how the sacred is woven into your everyday lives as a family.
Attendance at a retreat is expected for parents who have a child preparing for Eucharist or Confirmation this year. We are asking that at least one parent from each family attend a retreat. We would love to have both parents attend, but we understand that this is not always possible. If you attended a Parent Sacrament Retreat within the last 5 years, you need not attend this year. For your convenience, the same retreat will be repeated on 2 dates: October 20th and February 2nd from noon to 3 pm in the Upper Room. Please RSVP for a retreat using the link below.
• Sacramental retreat for children – Saturday, March 7, 10:00 am -12:15 p.m.
• Bread service for parents & children – Tuesday, March 10, 7:00-8:00, Parish Center
Information regarding registering your child for a First Communion date will be mailed to parents in early January 2020. Included will be parents of all 2nd graders from Religious Ed. and ASCA, plus parents of those children who have been preparing in Special Sacraments class. Parents will choose from among the following dates:
- Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. Mass
- Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. Mass
Practices will take place on the dates listed below. All children and at least one parent must attend the practice. For children with parts, the specific parts practice will immediately follow the main practice session for each Mass.
- April 22, 2020, 5:45 p.m. (1st Communion General Practice for April 26th, 12:00 p.m. Mass)
- April 29, 2020, 5:45 p.m. (1st Communion General Practice for May 3rd, 12:00 p.m. Mass)
Please see the Religious Education page for information.