St. Margaret Mary provides a welcoming atmosphere to the homeless of DuPage County by offering friendship, shelter and meals during a 12-hour period (7 PM-7AM) once a month. Activities include preparing the sleeping areas (setting up the mats), greeting the guests, purchasing and preparing food at home and bringing it to an area church, serving guests (cafeteria style), being onsite during the night in the event the guests need assistance, providing breakfast (purchasing, preparing and serving), providing snacks or drinks for sack lunches, disassembling the sleeping area and cleaning up.
Compassion for those of our brothers and sisters who are struggling to get by every day due to various reasons. You can choose to meet and serve the guests or provide the much needed support in the background. For more information contact: Barbara Fair at (630) 369-8557.
There are a limited number of one-time opportunities in this ministry because most volunteers commit to help out for the season.
- Ages 14 and above can help prepare the rooms for the guests. This involves moving mats from a storage area in the church to the lower level and then making the beds. 6:00-7:00 PM.
- Any age can provide food on a one-time basis; however, there are only a couple open slots per month which are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. The person providing the food will be told what is needed for the month. The food must be delivered to the church the evening of PADS between 6:30-6:45 PM in a disposable container, ready to serve. One option each month is to provide 10 dozen cookies which go into the sack lunches provided guests when they leave the shelter in the morning.
- Conduct a new underwear and sock drive. Mostly needed are men’s large & X-large and women’s medium & large. During cold months, new gloves and hats are greatly appreciated. Donations are to be dropped off between 6:30-9:00 PM at the church the evening of PADS.
- Provide holiday (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Springtime, Patriotic) paper products, such as, tablecloths, plates, napkins and cups for 50 people. (There are six 8′ banquet tables.)
Donations are to be dropped off between 6:15-6:30 PM at the church the evening of PADS. For more information contact: Barbara Fair at (630) 369-8557.
Summer Site – June-August:
Trinity Lutheran Church – Rte 53 & Kimberly (between Hobson & Maple) – Lisle
- Dinner third Wednesday of June, July & August
- Breakfast following Thursday of June, July, August
- Pick up linens from Edward Hospital laundry on the 3rd Wednesday of the month (October-May) between 10:00-noon and drop it off at Evangelical Free Church. (Must be able to lift 30 lb. bags.) Pick up 3rd Tuesday of the month (June-August) and drop off at Trinity Lutheran Church.
- Provide part of dinner and deliver to the church between 6:30-6:45 PM
The schedule of cooks is provided to you at the beginning of the season. Normally you’ll be assigned to bring/cook something every other month. Food must arrive in a disposable container and ready to serve – hot foods, hot and cold foods, cold. Besides cooked foods, salads, pop, milk and fruit are on the menu.
- Prepare rooms for guests, set up beds/mats and make beds: 6:00-7:00 PM
- Set up meal, serve guests, make lunches, clean up: 6:30-9:00 PM
- Sign-in and overnight watch (3 shifts, 2-3 people per shift)
7:00 – 11:00 PM Sign-in guests and be available to guests if needed
11:00 – 3:00 AM Onsite to be available to guests if needed
3:00 – 7:00 AM Onsite to be available to guests if needed, prepare for guests’ exit, begin clean-up
- Breakfast – Provide food for 20, cook and serve from 5:30-7:00 AM (Two people are assigned per month to coordinate this meal, usually consists of scrambled eggs or pancakes, toast, bacon/sausage.)
- Clean-up – Take down beds, vacuum, move tables & chairs from 6:00-7:30 AM
- Wash linens – Pick up bundle of linens between 6:45-7:00 AM at church, wash, fold and return to church by following week. (These are different than linens from hospital.)
For more information contact: Barbara Fair at (630) 369-8557.