St. Margaret Mary Parish was established on July 12, 1980, formed from parts of two already existing parishes: St. Peter and Paul, Naperville (established 1846) and St. Joan of Arc, Lisle (established 1924). St. Margaret Mary became the 111th parish of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Joliet (established 1949).
It was the growing population of Green Trails, along with the development of what was then the new southeast section of Naperville that attracted sufficient numbers of Catholics to warrant the establishment of a new parish. Built on land donated by Harold and Margaret Mary Moser, St. Margaret Mary Parish was named by Bishop Imesch in honor of the patron saint of Mrs. Moser.
Fr. Joe Voss, associate pastor of St. Mary’s, Downers Grove, was appointed the first pastor of St. Margaret Mary. Fr. Voss served St. Margaret Mary Parish as pastor for approximately nine months before taking a leave of absence on March 22, 1981. Fr. Ted Weitzel was named the second pastor on March 25, 1981. The early Masses were celebrated at Steeple Run School, and very quickly a parish Pastoral Council and a building committee were organized to plan for the future.
The construction of the worship space made visible the Benedictine heritage of the parish. A building committee of ten met weekly for two years to plan for the construction of the church building. The church was officially dedicated on October 15, 1983 with Fr. Ted and Bishop Imesch presiding at the dedication Mass.
Once the church building was constructed and dedicated, even more members flocked to its doors. By late 1983, the parish had grown to 1065 families. Fr. Ted completed his twelve-year stay at St. Margaret Mary Parish in June 1993 and Fr. Bill O’Shea was named pastor.
All Saints Catholic Academy opened its doors in August, 2005. This regional school is sponsored by three Naperville Catholic parishes: St. Margaret Mary, St. Elizabeth Seton, and St. Thomas the Apostle.
After years of planning, fundraising, and construction, our new wing to our parish facility opened in September 2008. The new wing includes a foyer for the parish library, and the Upper Room, used for a variety of parish activities. As part of the project, the church offices relocated to the lower level of the wing, and religious education offices were centralized in the 1989 wing. All this movement created space for the new Teen Center, which opened in November 2008.
Fr. Bill O’Shea entered into retirement in June 2007, concluding 14 years as pastor of St. Margaret Mary. Our parish welcomed Fr. Paul Hottinger as our current pastor.
Active participation of parishioners in leadership has marked our history from its beginnings. Our Pastoral Council and four Commissions (Administration, Christian Education, Christian Service, and Christian Worship) form our leadership structure, and together have vigorously engaged in the critical decisions in our history. Many committees and task forces, consisting of hundreds of volunteer ministers over the years, have initiated and carried out the vital ministries that mark our parish life.
From the earliest days to the present, providing religious education for the children of the parish was a high priority. In addition to religious education for the children and teens, St. Margaret Mary Parish has always placed a high priority on continuing education for adults.
Inspiring liturgical music has always been a vital aspect of parish life. The Lumen Christi Choir (9:00 AM) and Contemporary Choir (10:45 AM) have enlivened our liturgies thoroughout our history. Christian Service is another important hallmark of St. Margaret Mary Parish.